This meatless casserole is one of my all-time favorites. Loaded with mushrooms and draped in a reich sauce, it's a home-style side dish that will have everyone scooping up seconds.—Rosemary Janz, Concord, North Carolina
Recommended: 5 Do-able, Delicious Menus for Mother’s Day
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in batches in 1/4 cup butter until mushrooms are tender and liquid is evaporated. In a large bowl, whisk the cream, egg yolk, parsley, lemon juice, salt and paprika. Add mushrooms and stir until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 8-inch square baking dish. Melt remaining butter; stir in cracker crumbs until blended. Sprinkle over mushroom mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and topping is golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Steakhouse Mushroom Casserole in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2010, p51
Reviews forSteakhouse Mushroom Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 3, 2013
"wow! this was excellent! my son-in-law that "hates" mushrooms loved it!"