Steak and Onion Pie Recipe
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Pie pastry (9 to 10 inches)
- 1. In a Dutch oven, lightly brown onion in oil. Meanwhile, combine the flour, allspice, salt, pepper and ginger in a large resealable plastic bag. Place meat cubes in the bag, a few pieces at a time, and shake well to coat.
- 2. Remove onion and set aside. Brown beef on all sides. Add water; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Add potatoes, carrots and reserved onions; cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in peas; cook for 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- 4. Spoon meat mixture into a 9-in. square baking dish. Roll pastry out to a 10-in. square; place over meat mixture and seal edges to pan. Cut several small steam vents in crust. Bake at 450° for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is browned. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 373 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 23g protein
Reviews for Steak and Onion Pie
"The addition of carrots and peas makes this better than other steak and onion pie recipes I've tried, plus the meal as a whole is easier to make since you need to make one less side dish that way."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.