Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing Recipe
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach, torn
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup salad croutons
- 6 pitted ripe olives, halved
- 3 slices red onion, halved
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1. Divide spinach between two plates. Arrange the eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, croutons, olives and red onion over top.
- 2. In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender.
- 3. Stir in the sugar, ketchup, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Sprinkle bacon over salads; drizzle with dressing. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/3 cups salad with 4-1/2 teaspoons dressing equals 367 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 238 mg cholesterol, 1,178 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.