Special Herb Dressing Recipe
Our budget was tight when our children were small, so I cooked with ground beef often. Nowadays, I make this creative casserole simply because we love it! —Trudy Williams, Shannonville, Ontario
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh celery leaves
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 12 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add mushrooms, water chestnuts, apples, onion, parsley and celery leaves; cook 6-8 minutes or until mushrooms and apples are tender. Add cranberries, garlic and seasonings; cook 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Place bread cubes in large bowl. Add meat mixture; stir in broth. Spoon into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake 35-45 minutes. Yield: 14-16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 204 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 561 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC