- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh celery leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon each dried savory and thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
- 12 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef and sausage; drain. Add the mushrooms, water chestnuts, garlic, apples, onion, parsley and celery leaves; cook until mushrooms and apples are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in seasonings and cranberries; mix well. Cook for 2 minutes. Place bread cubes in large bowl. Add meat mixture; stir in broth. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Reviews forSpecial Herb Dressing
"Instead of bread I am going to use rice. Wish me luck!!"
"Haven't tried it yet but wondering if that should be 1 or 2 cups of bread crumbs - 12 cups seems a bit much..."
"How do you fit 12 cups bread cubes into this recipe?"
"Sounds tasty. If the author reads this, please advise what main dish or menu you serve with this special dish. Thanks!"