Southwest Pretzels Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt
- Salsa con queso dip
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, minced onion and spices. Add water. Beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 16 equal portions; roll each into a 15-in. rope. Cover and let rest 10 minutes longer.
- 3. Twist into pretzel shapes. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with egg. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Brush again with egg; sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake 10-13 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve pretzels warm with dip. Yield: 16 pretzels.
1 pretzel (calculated without coarse salt and dip) equals 120 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 224 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.