Southwest Iceberg Slaw
Leah Lyon of Ada, Oklahoma often rounds out a meal with Southwest Iceberg Slaw. "It's a cool, light and versatile side dish I created one day when I was trying to stretch my avocados," she says. "And friends rave about it no matter what vegetables I add!“
TASTY TIP: Try substituting other fresh garden vegetables in this salad or adding low-fat Mexican panela cheese for a light lunch entree, sugge
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup cubed avocado
- 1/2 cup chopped plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream, lime juice, onion, jalapeno,
- salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, avocado,
- tomatoes and carrot. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 83 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 322 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat.