Chicken is cooked until tender and combined with corn, beans, cheese, and salsa for a delicious meal with Southwestern flair. The garnishes really complete the meal.—Maddymoo, Taste of Home Online Community
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) mild salsa
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- Sweet red and yellow pepper strips, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced green onions, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, layer three-fourths each of the corn and
- beans and half of the salsa. Arrange chicken over salsa; top with
- remaining corn, beans and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours
- or until chicken is tender.
- Shred chicken with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat
- through. Top with the peppers, sour cream, cheese and onions if
- desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 234 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 678 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.