- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) mild salsa
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- Sweet red and yellow pepper strips, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and sliced green onions, optional
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, layer three-fourths each of the corn and beans and half of the salsa. Arrange chicken over salsa; top with remaining corn, beans and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Shred chicken with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Top with the peppers, sour cream, cheese and onions if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSouthwest Chicken
"I added the peppers to the crockpot while the meal was cooking, and I really enjoyed it that way! Even my daughter who is a little picky about food enjoyed it AND ate the veggies!"
"What a great recipe! It was easy to make and we all loved it. I will make again and again."
"This is a great recipe. I used boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts and it was very good that way as well. It could use some salt and pepper, or add more salsa later in the cooking time. Next time I might add a can of green chilies."
"Loved this and so simple. I put my chicken in frozen. This was perfect for today since we had baseball all day. I put it on at 11, came home at 2:45, and shredded the chicken, then left for game two. By the time we got home at 6:30, it was done. I made mine on a low carb tortilla, the hubby as a rice bowl. We are using the leftovers for nachos and salads the rest of the week!"
"This was delicious and very easy to make!"
"Delicious and simple to make...made the recipe as instructed. Next time i will probably use pepper jack cheese and cilantro..and top it off with Avocado! Yum Yum.."
"Very simple recipe with good flavor. Nice economical weeknight dinner. I had all the ingredients on hand except black beans. I used kidney beans instead, which worked fine."
"I followed the recipe closely, but added no garnishes. It was delicious, so easy. I served it over brown rice, but it would be delicious as a burrito filling also. This one's a keeper, and I look forward to making it again and again."
"I cut this in half and made it in the 1.5 qt slow cooker. The chicken was very moist and flavorful not to mention the meat fell right apart. I cook it for 12 hours. I had to use cream of corn and black eyed peas since I didn't have any black beans but my husband really enjoyed it. He even liked it without the cheese"
"Good recipe. I used my homemade salsa, added a little garlic, cilantro, and a touch of salt. Pretty good and easy to make."