Southern Scrapple Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional butter
- Maple syrup
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Gradually add the grits, salt, pepper and cayenne, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in butter and cheese until melted. Stir in sausage.
- 2. Press into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until cool.
- 3. Remove scrapple from pan; cut into 1/2-in. slices. In a skillet, cook scrapple in butter until browned on both sides, adding more butter as needed. Serve warm with syrup. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 slice: 141 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 497mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Southern Scrapple
"I made this with polenta instead of grits, and bulk turkey breakfast sausage. It's addicting! I fry it in a non-stick pan without butter. There's enough butter in the recipe to fry it nicely. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm pretty sure there's always going to be a loaf in the fridge. ;-) (By the way, I used Kosher salt and unsalted butter, and it was plenty salty enough from the sausage and cheese)."