Southern Scrapple Recipe
When it comes to regional recipes, this certainly fits the bill. Scrapple is a breakfast staple fin this area.
- 1/2 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional butter
- Maple syrup
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Gradually add the grits, salt, pepper and cayenne, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in butter and cheese until melted. Stir in sausage.
- 2. Press into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until cool.
- 3. Remove scrapple from pan; cut into 1/2-in. slices. In a skillet, cook scrapple in butter until browned on both sides, adding more butter as needed. Serve warm with syrup. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 141 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 497 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC