- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup grits
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Additional butter or margarine
- Maple syrup
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Gradually add the grits, salt, pepper and cayenne, stirring constantly until thickened. Stir in butter and cheese until melted. Stir in the sausage. Press into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until cool.
- Remove scrapple from pan; cut into 1/2-in. slices. Fry in a skillet in butter until browned on both sides, adding more butter as needed. Serve warm with syrup. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forSouthern Scrapple
"I made this with polenta instead of grits, and bulk turkey breakfast sausage. It's addicting! I fry it in a non-stick pan without butter. There's enough butter in the recipe to fry it nicely. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm pretty sure there's always going to be a loaf in the fridge. ;-) (By the way, I used Kosher salt and unsalted butter, and it was plenty salty enough from the sausage and cheese)."