Smothered Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- Garlic powder and seasoned salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Sprinkle with garlic powder and seasoned salt. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil for 4 minutes; turn. Top with the mushrooms, cheese, green onions and bacon. Cover and cook 4 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 230 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 799mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Smothered Chicken
"I made a half-batch of this recipe today, cooking it in an 8-inch cast iron skillet. I started by frying 2 chopped slices of bacon in the skillet, removing them for the topping and leaving some of the fat behind in place of the cooking oil. Very tasty and colorful!One caution: Today's chickens have bigger breasts. One boneless breast half weighed up at 10 ounces, making two generous servings."
"Made this for the family tonight but used fresh mushrooms that I cooked up in the bacon grease. Some thought it was a little dry (they picked off the mushrooms) but I served it with a little chicken gravy and everyone was happy."
"quick easy and very very tasty"
"This dish was absolutely delicious. The only changes I made to the recipe was that I added 1-18 oz jar of chicken gravy, to make a richer sauce and I used real chopped bacon on top. My family is hooked! This will definitely be on our menu very often."
"This has been a go-to recipe in my home for years; a frequent request of my husband and even my super picky children gobble this up. I use center cut bacon and reduced fat cheese to cut some of the fat."
"this is an excellent recipe! so quick and easy, we will definitely make it again. i also substituted fresh mushrooms instead of canned. Very good!"
"So simple and fantastic. I use fresh mushrooms instead of canned."
"This has become a family favorite. So quick and effortless, you can have your main dish prepared in the time it takes to think of your side dishes! Very good flavor and easy to keep ingredients on hand. We don't use the mushrooms but follow the rest of the ingredients. Delicious!"
"So easy and delicious."
"One of our favorites!"