“I serve this easy-to-make appetizer for every special occasion and for 'munchie meals' on big-game days,” writes Peggy Allen of Pasadena, California. “My neighbors look for it whenever we get together.”
25 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 3 quarts water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 medium lemon, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails on)
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Add shrimp. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or
- until shrimp turn pink.
- Drain shrimp and immediately rinse in cold water. Refrigerate for 2-3
- hours or until cold. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Arrange shrimp on a serving platter; serve with sauce. Yield: about 6