- 3 quarts water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 medium lemon, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails on)
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine the first eight ingredients; bring to a boil. Add shrimp. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Drain shrimp and immediately rinse in cold water. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until cold. In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Refrigerate until serving.
- Arrange shrimp on a serving platter; serve with sauce. Yield: about 6 dozen (1-1/4 cups sauce).
Reviews forShrimp Cocktail
"I have made this several times--especially at the holidays. People rave and several have said it is the best they have ever had--shirmp is amazing alone and with the sauce. It has been requested again for Chrsitmas and New Year!"
"I have not made the shrimp, but the cocktail sauce is absolutely delicious. I won't make it any other way now."
"While I would make the shrimp again, the sauce is another story ... I may have used the wrong chili sauce or too much horseradish but it was way too overpowering - even when adding katchup"