Shepherd's Pie Bake Recipe
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (12 ounces) fat-free beef gravy
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Peel and cube the potatoes; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Add 1 in. of water to another saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until crisp-tender, about 7-9 minutes. Drain.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, gravy, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sage, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Transfer to a shallow 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Drain the potatoes; mash with milk, butter and remaining salt. Spread over meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 390 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 859 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Shepherd's Pie Bake
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.