- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 jar (12 ounces) fat-free beef gravy
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Peel and cube the potatoes; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Add 1 in. of water to another saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until crisp-tender, about 7-9 minutes. Drain.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the carrots, gravy, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sage, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Transfer to a shallow 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Drain the potatoes; mash with milk, butter and remaining salt. Spread over meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forShepherd's Pie Bake
"As is, this is good. However, I use the TOH "Ready Gravy Mix" and it takes it to 5 stars! Last night, I used 1.5 lbs of ground elk meat and doubled the gravy-absolutely delicious! I like just a touch more rosemary and I use cheddar rather than parm. Great dish!"
"I didn't have a jar of gravy so I used a packet mix and it turned out fine. I used cheddar cheese on top. Very savory dinner!"
"I make this exactly as it is. It's a favorite and kids love it."
"I love this recipe! I add cheddar instead of parmesan. It's perfect after a day of hunting or fishing in the cold. Hands down in my top 5 favs."
"My husband loved this! added peas and used instant potatoes and it worked great - plus it is easy"
"We made our own gravy instead of using a jar product. We added celery & mushrooms and used season salt instead of regular salt. It turned out great!"
"Although I've thought about adding other veggies, I have yet to do it. It's a favorite of my family just as it's written!"
"my husband and enjoyed this recipe. however, we changed up the parmesan for light shredded cheese. we also mixed peas in with the carrots. it was great."