Semisweet Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt chocolate chips with water; stir until smooth. Stir a small amount of hot chocolate mixture into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool, stirring several times.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold in cooled chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 367 calories, 31 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 188 mg cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Semisweet Chocolate Mousse
"I had never made chocolate mousse before and this recipe was so easy and delicious! I wondered too about adding water to the chocolate, but I just kept stirring and it came together smoothly. I'll be making this more often for sure! I might add some mini-chocolate chips to it the next time."
"This was great! at first I was really skeptical because it said to add water to your chocolate and I know that it makes chocolate seize really badly, but you add so much water that it melts completely and turns into something like hot chocolate. the chocolate will look like its seizing, but just keep at it and it will melt all the way very soon.Also, I only had MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS instead of semi-sweet, and at first it was way too sweet, but I added cocoa powder as I folded the chocolate and whipped cream together and it is a fantastic bitter sweet mousse, maybe even better than if I had made it correctly!"
"This mousse is wonderful! Once you try it, you'll be making it again."
"I make this for my hubby 1-3 times per year. It's his favorite. I forgot where I get the recipe and have FINALLY bookmarked the page. But I found this again and so happy!! This is so easy and so very good. He will be very happy tonight when I present this after dinner :-)"
"Marvalous....absolutely delicious!!I could eat it every day."
"I live alone, so I just love this recipe. I double it, that way I can have it all week long. Also, I used dark chocolate chips. So a little mousse goes a long way. It is rich, but oh so good! Obviously, Rach_TheBoss didn't do something right. I'm am not the best cook, and I had no trouble at all. It was very easy to make. Carol Stubbs"
"I live alone, so I just love this recipe. I double it, that way I can have it all week long. Also, I used dark chocolate chips. So a little mousse goes a long way. It is rich, but oh so good! Carol Stubbs"
"Horrible recipe. Why does this recipe call for water to be added to the chocolate while it melts?!? It seizes up! Plus, it turned into a mucky mess when i added the yolk."
"It was a hit - I tripled the recipe to serve to our dinner guests!"