Savory N Saucy Baked Beans
A.G. Strickland of Marietta, Georgia dresses up canned baked beans in a jiffy...with green pepper, celery and canned tomatoes. With just a hint of sweetness and a touch of garlic, these beans are naturals for summer picnics and patio meals.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (28 ounces) vegetarian baked beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the onion, green
- pepper and celery for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in beans,
- tomatoes, pepper, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 148 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 648 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein.