A.G. Strickland of Marietta, Georgia dresses up canned baked beans in a jiffy...with green pepper, celery and canned tomatoes. With just a hint of sweetness and a touch of garlic, these beans are naturals for summer picnics and patio meals.
Recommended: 28 Healthy One-Pot Meals
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (28 ounces) vegetarian baked beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the onion, green pepper and celery for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in beans, tomatoes, pepper, salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Savory N Saucy Baked Beans in Light & Tasty April/May 2004, p19