Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza Pasta Recipe
Quick-prep veggies and simple seasonings get this saucy meat-lover’s pizza casserole on the table pronto. It’s great for potlucks, too, as it can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a large group. —Julie Glisson Zdero, Racine, Wisconsin
- 4 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 3 Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 envelopes thick and zesty spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1. Cook penne according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, mushrooms, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain and remove from pan.
- 2. Cook pepperoni in the same pan until heated through. Return sausage mixture to the pan.
- 3. Stir in the water, tomato paste, spaghetti sauce mix, olives, oil and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- 4. Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC