Sauerkraut Stuffing Recipe
- 3/4 cup shredded uncooked potatoes
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the potatoes and onion in butter until onion is tender (potatoes will still be firm). Remove from the heat. Stir in the sauerkraut, parsley and seasonings.
- 2. Stuff chicken cavity; place on a rack in roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, at 375° for 2 hours or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 3. Measure 3/4 cup of the pan drippings; pour into a saucepan. Combine water and flour; add to drippings. Cook and stir until gravy boils; boil 1 minute. Serve with the chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (12 ounces) equals 624 calories, 37 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 184 mg cholesterol, 1,062 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 52 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.