Saucy Beef Patties Recipe
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties. In a large skillet, brown patties on both sides. Remove and set aside; drain drippings.
In the same skillet, combine the remaining ingredients. Return patties to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Freeze option: Cool beef patties in sauce. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in patties reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 4 servings.
1 patty with 1/4 cup sauce equals 253 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 717 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.