Salisbury Steak with Onion Gravy Recipe
- 1 egg
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed French onion soup, undiluted, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 6 cups hot cooked egg noodles
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg. Stir in 1/3 cup of soup, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into six oval patties.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown patties over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Remove and set aside; drain. Add the water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and remaining soup to skillet. Bring to a boil.
- 3. Return patties to the skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until heated through. Combine flour and cold water until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve patties and gravy with noodles. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 458 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 149 mg cholesterol, 767 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.