Roasted Chicken with Sausage Stuffing Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 cups unseasoned stuffing croutons
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion, celery and red pepper in butter until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender; do not drain.
- 2. Place croutons in a large bowl; add sausage mixture. Stir in the parsley, tarragon, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir in enough broth until stuffing is moistened and holds together.
- 3. Just before baking, loosely stuff chicken. Place with breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Pour 1/2 cup broth around chicken.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180° for chicken and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally with pan juices. Yield: 6 servings.
14 ounce-weight: 735 calories, 42g fat (13g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 967mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 63g protein .
Reviews for Roasted Chicken with Sausage Stuffing
"I made this and then put it on my grill/smoker. The smoky flavor that the stuffing had was awesome. It will be my "dressing" from now on."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.