Ready Gravy Mix
Don't you sometimes wish you had gravy to accompany a meaty main dish, or to pour over noodles or potatoes? Sure, you can buy jars of prepared gravy at the market, but often, they go bad before you can use them up. That's why our Test Kitchen loves the Ready Gravy Mix recipe. This dry mix keeps up to 6 months, so anytime you yearn for chicken or beef gravy, you can stir up a portion. We think you'
48 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 tablespoons beef or chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 cup cold water
- In a small bowl, combine the bouillon, flour and pepper. Store in an
- airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 8
- batches (1 cup total).
- To prepare gravy: In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add 2 tablespoons
- gravy mix. Cook and stir until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened.
- Yield: 3/4 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons prepared gravy (prepared with reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules) equals 35 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.