Pureed Butternut Squash Soup
For several years, we've been enjoying this velvety, yet healthy soup at Thanksgiving. Butternut squash isn’t the easiest thing to cut into, so I go ahead and buy mine pre-chopped. —Christen Chalmers, Houston, Texas
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- In a small saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add onion
- and carrot; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute
- Stir in squash, stock, sage, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, covered, 10-15 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly. Process in a blender until smooth.
- Sprinkle servings with pepper flakes. Yield: 2 servings.