Poppy Seed Tossed Salad
So many people seek out this salad at get-togethers, I always have a couple giant bowls waiting. A guest who said she didn't like salads tried this one and ended up taking the leftovers home. I rank it in the top 10 of the best recipes I've collected.
26 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 package (3 ounces) ramen noodles
- 2 packages (5 ounces each) spring mix salad greens
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Crush ramen noodles; discard seasoning packet. In a large salad bowl,
- toss the greens, lettuce, noodles, oranges and almonds; set aside.
- For dressing, in a blender, combine the vinegar, sugar, onion, salt
- and mustard; cover and process until smooth. While processing,
- gradually add oil in a steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds. Serve
- with salad. Yield: 26 servings (1-3/4 cups dressing).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 141 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.