Polenta Chili Casserole Recipe
Our Test Kitchen created this delicious vegetarian bean and polenta bake that combines spicy chili, mixed veggies and homemade polenta. It's a warm and comfy casserole that is sure to please everyone, vegetarian or not.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing YIELD:8 servings
- 1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) vegetarian chili with beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and well drained
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine cornmeal and salt. Gradually whisk in boiling water. Cook and stir over medium heat 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup cheddar cheese until melted.
- 2. Spread into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat chili according to package directions.
- 3. Spread vegetables over polenta; top with chili. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (prepared with reduced-fat cheese) equals 344 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 551 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC