Polenta Chili Casserole
Our Test Kitchen created this delicious vegetarian bean and polenta bake that combines spicy chili, mixed veggies and homemade polenta. It's a warm and comfy casserole that is sure to please everyone, vegetarian or not.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) vegetarian chili with beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and well drained
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine cornmeal and
- salt. Gradually whisk in boiling water. Cook and stir over medium
- heat 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup
- cheddar cheese until melted.
- Spread into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake,
- uncovered, at 20 minutes. Meanwhile, heat chili according to package
- Spread vegetables over polenta; top with chili. Sprinkle with
- remaining cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until cheese is
- melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (prepared with reduced-fat cheese) equals 344 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 551 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 13 g fiber, 19 g protein.