Pineapple Cider Wassail
Pineapple juice prevents this hot drink from becoming overly sweet. Skip the rumwithout sacrificing flavorfor a beverage that's ideal for guests of all ages.Lori Schmeling, Hartland, Wisconsin
14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 cups apple cider or juice
- 4 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1-1/2 cups apricot nectar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup rum, optional
- Place the cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom on a double thickness
- of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to
- form a bag.
- In a large saucepan, combine the apple cider, pineapple juice,
- apricot nectar and orange juice. Add spice bag. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until flavors
- are blended. Discard spice bag. Stir in rum if desired. Serve warm.
- Yield: 14 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup (calculated without rum) equals 95 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.