Pineapple Boat with Fluffy Fruit Dip
At the root of this appetizer is a boatload of sweet, citrusy flavor. Children will find the carved pineapple appealing and be eager to dig into the delicious dip inside with fresh-cut chunks of summer fruit. "Adults also find the fruit dip delightful," comments Katie Adams from Red Oak, Texas. "I often treat myself to a batch when melons are in season."—Katie Adams, Red Oak, Texas
48 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 large ripe pineapple
- Additional orange and lemon peel, optional
- Assorted fresh fruit
- In a saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; cook and stir over
- low heat until mixture reaches 160*. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese. Gradually add egg mixture, beating
- until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Fold in whipped topping.
- Refrigerate until serving.
- Stand pineapple upright and vertically cut about a third from one
- side, leaving the top attached. Remove fruit and discard outer peel
- from the smaller section. Remove fruit from the larger section,
- leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Cut fruit into chunks.
- Fill shell with dip. Sprinkle with and orange and lemon peel if