Pigs in a Blanket with Homemade Pastry Dough Recipe
This fun take on classic pigs in a blanket wraps up pork-and-beef logs in from-scratch pastry dough. Bet you can't eat just one! Cyndi Fynaardt, Oskaloosa, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:54 servings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup milk
- 10 crushed Zwieback or Holland rusks (1-1/4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 pounds ground beef
- 1-3/4 pounds Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- Dijon mustard, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into three portions. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. Meanwhile, for filling, in a large bowl, combine Zwieback crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of meat mixture into 3-in. logs; set aside.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. On a floured surface, knead one portion of dough 8-10 times. Roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. round cutter.
- 4. Place one log in the center of each circle. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal. Reroll scraps. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 5. Place on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Serve with mustard if desired. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
1 appetizer (calculated without mustard) equals 120 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 106 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC