Pigs in a Blanket with Homemade Pastry Dough Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup milk
- 10 crushed Zwieback or Holland rusks (1-1/4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 pounds ground beef
- 1-3/4 pounds Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- Dijon mustard, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into three portions. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. Meanwhile, for filling, in a large bowl, combine Zwieback crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well. Shape rounded tablespoonfuls of meat mixture into 3-in. logs; set aside.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. On a floured surface, knead one portion of dough 8-10 times. Roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness; cut with a floured 3-in. round cutter.
- 4. Place one log in the center of each circle. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal. Reroll scraps. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- 5. Place on greased racks in shallow baking pans. Bake 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Serve with mustard if desired. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 120 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Pigs in a Blanket with Homemade Pastry Dough
"I found them to have alot of flavor"
"The flaky dough is excellent -- instead of making the meat logs, I use three (10-link) packages of Brown & Serve turkey sausage from the freezer section. These are delicious!"