Picnic Bars Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar and cocoa; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping.
- 2. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until set.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine milk and 1 cup of chocolate chips; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Carefully spread over crust. Combine reserved crumb mixture with nuts and remaining chips. Sprinkle over chocolate layer.
- 4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is set (chips will not look melted). Cool before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 each: 173 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Picnic Bars
"This recipe was a complete disaster. I followed the instructions perfectly. Once you add the eggs to the flour mixture it becomes a gooey mess and is almost impossible to work with. Then when I mixed the chocolate chips, walnuts, and remaining 1 1/2 cups of the mixture, it just all stuck together in a ball. No way to "sprinkle" that. What's wrong? The eggs seem to ruin everything. Help!"
"These are ooey-gooey and so sweet, they make your cheeks tingle!!! Yummy!!!!!!!!!"
"Really good- we took these to a family reunion and they were gone in no time! I will definitely make again, but probably will increase the amount of cocoa, just because I like things extra chocolatey! :)"
"Perfect just the way it is! Huge hit in my family."
"I was very disappointed in these bars. I made them for our church picnic and they were hardly touched. The moist center had very little flavor. Taste of Home has never let me down until this recipe. Won't make this again."
"If I can't use walnuts, what would be a good substitute? almonds? peanuts?"
"I made this over the weekend and had to make them again for the girls at work! They were gone in a minute and all had to have the recipe."
"A friend brought these to church while making easter hats. They really good. Had to get on here and find the recipe!"