- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and cocoa; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs. Set aside 1-1/2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until set. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine milk and 1 cup of chocolate chips; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Carefully spread over crust. Combine reserved crumb mixture with nuts and remaining chips. Sprinkle over chocolate layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is set (chips will not look melted). Cool before cutting. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forPicnic Bars
"not a carefully written recipe, 1st problem, the size of the pan is much too big! there is no way 1/2 of the mixture would cover the base of a 13 x9" pan. 2nd, once the 2 eggs are added the mixture becomes gooey therefore you can no longer sprinkle the topping, you have to practically spoon it over & spread w/a knife. I used a 9x9" pan & it gave me a 1" layer square which is reasonable for height of any squares. No way this would give you 36 squares. Pan size is definitely too big. & wording of recipe is important. (to sprinkle, one must have a dry texture, like nuts, or oat mixture.) Can't sprinkle anything that is gooey."
"This recipe was a complete disaster. I followed the instructions perfectly. Once you add the eggs to the flour mixture it becomes a gooey mess and is almost impossible to work with. Then when I mixed the chocolate chips, walnuts, and remaining 1 1/2 cups of the mixture, it just all stuck together in a ball. No way to "sprinkle" that. What's wrong? The eggs seem to ruin everything. Help!"
"These are ooey-gooey and so sweet, they make your cheeks tingle!!! Yummy!!!!!!!!!"
"Really good- we took these to a family reunion and they were gone in no time! I will definitely make again, but probably will increase the amount of cocoa, just because I like things extra chocolatey! :)"
"Perfect just the way it is! Huge hit in my family."
"I was very disappointed in these bars. I made them for our church picnic and they were hardly touched. The moist center had very little flavor. Taste of Home has never let me down until this recipe. Won't make this again."
"If I can't use walnuts, what would be a good substitute? almonds? peanuts?"
"I made this over the weekend and had to make them again for the girls at work! They were gone in a minute and all had to have the recipe."