Philly-Style Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) frozen Steak-umm sliced steaks, browned
- 1/2 cup French-fried onions
- 1. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheeses, garlic powder, steak seasoning and onion powder.
- 3. Drain macaroni; add to sauce mixture. Stir in steak. Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle fried onions over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 635 calories, 41 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 921 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Reviews for Philly-Style Mac and Cheese
"My husband hates mac n' cheese, but he LOVED this! I was pleasantly surprised!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.