- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) frozen Steak-umm sliced steaks, browned
- 1/2 cup French-fried onions
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheeses, garlic powder, steak seasoning and onion powder.
- Drain macaroni; add to sauce mixture. Stir in steak. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; sprinkle fried onions over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forPhilly-Style Mac and Cheese
"If I could give NO stars, I would have been happier. Onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms are hardly enough vegetables to give this dish the designation of *and I’m always looking for ways to sneak in some veggies* and just how much do you think that medium bell pepper, medium onion, and 8 ounces of mushrooms are going to set off ***41g fat (22g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 921mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber) per serving***?? a medium pepper and a medium onion for 6 servings? and 8 ounces of mushrooms divided by 6 servings is about 1-1/2 mushrooms per serving.Maybe 3 bell peppers, 3 onions, 1 pound of mushrooms, and only one cup of each cheese would be a better recipe. Good Grief"
"My husband hates mac n' cheese, but he LOVED this! I was pleasantly surprised!"