Peppermint Ice Cream Recipe
With flecks of peppermint candy, this ice cream is perfect for the holidays. —Berneice Metcalf, Leavenworth, Washington
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4-1/2 to 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups crushed peppermint candy
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat half-and-half cream to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- 2. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 3. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. For each batch, stir in some of the peppermint candy. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 1 quart.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 417 calories, 29 g fat (17 g saturated fat), 210 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC