- 4 egg yolks
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4-1/2 to 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups crushed peppermint candy
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, half-and-half, sugar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Place pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Stir in peppermint candy. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1 quart.
Reviews forPeppermint Ice Cream
"YUMMY!!! We made this during the Holidays and it was excellent. The only addition was 1/4 tsp. of Peppermint extract. I will make again next year."
"Very creamy and delicious!!!"
"This is absolutely wonderful. Creamy, smooth and stays soft enough to easily scoop out - but I just ate it out of the freezer bowl. Plan on making another batch tonight!!!!!"