Penne Salami Bake Recipe
"This entree is so versatile that you can add whatever veggies you have on hand," relates Tanya Murray of Olympia, Washington. "I've tossed in a variety of produce, including mushrooms, peas, broccoli, zucchini and pattypan squash. Just saute them right along with the onion and garlic."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/3 pound salami, cubed
- 10 pitted ripe olives, halved
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, green and sweet red peppers, salami, olives, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in pasta. Combine cheeses. Spoon half of pasta mixture into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1-1/3 cups cheese. Layer with remaining pasta and cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC