Pecan Cherry Bread
"My mom made this delicious bread for special occasions," recalls Pat Habiger of Spearville, Kansas. Full of sweet cherries and nuts, the taste and appearance of this golden loaf make it ideal for autumn gatherings.
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating
- well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt;
- add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in
- pecans, cherries and vanilla.
- Pour into a greased and floured 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at
- 350° for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan
- to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 233 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 235 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.