Pea Soup with Quinoa
“This soup is low in fat, high in fiber, has a fantastically fresh flavor and a wonderful texture,” says Jane Hacker of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. “Plus, it’s so simple to make!”
4 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat plain yogurt
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir
- in broth and peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
- for 5 minutes or until peas are tender. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the
- pan. Stir in the salt, pepper and quinoa; heat through. Garnish each
- serving with 1/2 teaspoon yogurt. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 236 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 858 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber,