Party Potatoes Au Gratin
Hearty helpings of these cheesy spuds will please hungry folks in a hurry. The rich, creamy sauce makes this recipe of my mother's the one folks request most. The potatoes are just as delicious the next day, reheat in the microwave with a little added milk.Debbie Carlson, San Diego, California
16 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 4 cups milk
- 7 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, 1 teaspoon salt and
- 1 teaspoon pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly; set
- Combine the potatoes, onions, cheese, remaining salt and pepper.
- Place a third of the mixture in a greased 5-qt. baking dish; top
- with a third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 30 minutes
- longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 16 servings.