Party Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe
Hearty helpings of these cheesy spuds will please hungry folks in a hurry. The rich, creamy sauce makes this recipe of my mother's the one folks request most. The potatoes are just as delicious the next day, reheat in the microwave with a little added milk.—Debbie Carlson, San Diego, California
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 4 cups milk
- 7 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 cups (32 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly; set aside.
- 2. Combine the potatoes, onions, cheese, remaining salt and pepper. Place a third of the mixture in a greased 5-qt. baking dish; top with a third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 16 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC