As executive director for a living history site, I've learned the basics of milking cows, making candles and cooking hearty fare like potatoes. This dish has the right combination of cheeses, seasonings and potatoes.—Ronda Thompson, Wellsville, Utah
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer the potatoes and
- onion. In a small bowl, combine the butter, salt, pepper and garlic
- powder; drizzle over potatoes and onion. Sprinkle with Parmesan
- cheese; stir gently to combine.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until potatoes are
- tender. Uncover; sprinkle with the cheddar cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes
- longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 430 calories, 17 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 711 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 13 g protein.