Osso Buco Recipe
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 6 veal shanks (2 inches thick)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1. Combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge meat. In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Place the shanks in a single layer in a Dutch oven or oblong baking dish; sprinkle with Italian seasoning and sage. Combine the carrots, onion, celery and garlic; sprinkle over meat. In a small bowl, whisk together wine, broth and tomato paste. Pour over vegetables.
- 2. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours or until fork-tender. Just before serving, combine Gremolata ingredients; sprinkle over each shank. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 each: 341 calories, 18g fat (4g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein
Reviews for Osso Buco
"This is a first class recipe. I made this many years ago & lost my recipe, I'm so glad to have discovered it again on the Taste of Home website. All the flavors work extremely well together!"
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.