- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 6 veal shanks (2 inches thick)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- Combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge meat. In a large skillet, heat the oil on high. Brown meat on all sides. Lay the shanks flat in a Dutch oven or oblong baking dish and sprinkle with Italian seasoning and sage. Combine onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Sprinkle over meat. In a small bowl, whisk together wine, broth and tomato paste. Pour over vegetables. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours or until fork-tender. Just before serving, combine Gremolata ingredients; sprinkle over each shank. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forOsso Buco
"I fixed this and everyone loved it!!"
"This is a first class recipe. I made this many years ago & lost my recipe, I'm so glad to have discovered it again on the Taste of Home website. All the flavors work extremely well together!"