Onion Tart Recipe
Onion lovers are sure to be asking for second helpings of this appetizing tart - it uses two kinds of onions! Parmesan and feta cheese, nutmeg and hot pepper sauce enhance the flavor nicely. With its quiche-like filling, the dish is ideal for a brunch or buffet. -Christine Andreas, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender; cool. In a food processor, combine the eggs, feta cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and hot pepper sauce; cover and process until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk; process until blended.
- 3. Brush the inside of crust with mustard. Sprinkle the green onions, chives and sauteed onions over crust. Carefully pour egg mixture over onions. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 361 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Onion Tart
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC