Old-Fashioned Garlic Dill Pickles Recipe
- 15 garlic cloves, peeled and halved, divided
- 15 fresh dill heads
- 4 pounds small cucumbers (3 to 4 inches long)
- 6 cups water
- 4-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons canning salt
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. Place five garlic clove halves and five dill heads in each of three hot 1-quart jars. Pack cucumbers into jars to within 1/2 in. of the top.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring water, vinegar, salt and pepper flakes to a boil. Carefully ladle hot liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Add remaining five garlic clove halves to each jar. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 3. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 3 quarts.
1 each: 10 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 138mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 1g fiber), 0g protein .
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Garlic Dill Pickles
"I've been looking a long time for a recipe that uses fresh dill and tastes like the hamburger dill pickles from the store. This is it! I only used 4 garlic cloves per jar and added 3/4 teaspoon of turmeric to the vinegar mixture. I didn't process them in the water bath, just put them in the refrigerator for 24 hrs before trying them out. Excellent flavor!"