- 15 garlic cloves, peeled and halved, divided
- 15 fresh dill heads
- 4 pounds small cucumbers (3 to 4 inches long)
- 6 cups water
- 4-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons canning salt
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place five garlic clove halves and five dill heads in each of three hot 1-qt. jars. Pack cucumbers into jars to within 1/2 in. of the top.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, vinegar, salt and pepper flakes to a boil. Carefully ladle hot liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Add remaining five garlic clove halves to each jar. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 3 quarts.
Reviews forOld-Fashioned Garlic Dill Pickles
"I've been looking a long time for a recipe that uses fresh dill and tastes like the hamburger dill pickles from the store. This is it! I only used 4 garlic cloves per jar and added 3/4 teaspoon of turmeric to the vinegar mixture. I didn't process them in the water bath, just put them in the refrigerator for 24 hrs before trying them out. Excellent flavor!"