This recipe has been in the family for generations, and my sister and I make these biscuits often for our families. When I bake them first thing in the morning, the house soon smells delicious.
15 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder,
- baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles
- coarse crumbs. Stir in oats and milk just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out to 3/4-in. thickness.
- Cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on an
- ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until
- lightly browned. Serve warm. Yield: 15 biscuits.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 180 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 304 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.