Norwegian Meatballs Recipe
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, nutmeg and allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash white pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, bread crumbs, onion and seasonings. Let stand until crumbs absorb milk. Add meat; stir until well blended. Shape into 1-in. meatballs.
- 2. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° until browned, about 18 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°; drain. Set aside.
- 3. For gravy, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and brown lightly. Slowly add broth; cook and stir until smooth and thickened. Blend in the cream, cayenne and white pepper. Gently stir in meatballs; heat through but do not boil. Yield: about 16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 255 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 638 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 19 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.