Mushroom Cheese Bread
This savory grilled bread is delightful with barbecued steak, baked potatoes and corn on the cob. My family prefers it instead of rolls at Sunday dinners. For variation, we use half cheddar cheese and half mozzarella.—Dolly McDonald, Edmonton, Alberta
10-12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced French bread
- In a small bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, mushrooms,
- mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese and onion. Cut bread in half lengthwise;
- spread cheese mixture over cut sides.
- Grill, covered, over indirect heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for
- 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Slice and serve warm. Yield:
- 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 180 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 347 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.